Lithium Bromide Absorption Refrigeration System
What is lithium Bromide Absorption Refrigeration System?
The lithium bromide absorption refrigeration system uses a lithium bromide solution in water. In this system, we use water as a refrigerant and lithium bromide as absorbent. Lithium bromide is a highly hygroscopic salt. The lithium bromide solution has a low vapour pressure and develops a strong affinity towards water vapour. lithium bromide solution is corrosive in nature. In order to protect the metal, we add the inhibitors. We use Lithium chromate as a corrosion inhibitor. This lithium bromide absorption refrigeration system is well known for cooling in which low refrigeration temperature is required.
Lithium Bromide Absorption Refrigeration System Working
- The pressure inside the evaporator is kept up exceptionally low, hence the refrigerant water evaporates. Solid lithium bromide will absorb the water vapour.
- In absorbing the water vapour, the lithium bromide maintains very low pressure in the evaporator and the solution becomes weak. Pump pumps the weak solution. It flows to the generator. It gets heat by the steam or hot water in the heating coils.
- The water vapour evaporates and thus solution becomes more strong. Strong solution passes through the heat exchanger. It sprays on the absorber. Weak solution of the lithium bromide also flows to the generator from absorber. Weak solution of the lithium bromide also passes to the heat exchanger.
- Strong solution heats the weak solution in the heat exchanger. Weak solution requires a lesser amount of steam for heating.
- The refrigerant water vapour passes to the condenser where it cools down. And water flows through condenser water tubes.
- Cooling water pond or tower also pumps the cooling water for condensing. The cooling water also absorbs the heat of condensation. The condensate from the condenser is provided to the evaporator. Also to balance the water vapour formed in the evaporator.
- Valve also reduces the pressure of condensate from the condenser pressure to the evaporator pressure. Pump pumps the cool water from the evaporator. It also sprays on the evaporator. In order to cool the water for air conditioning flowing through the chilled tubes.
Thus, it completes the cycle.